Sở Giáo Dục Đào Tạo
ĐỀ THI CHỌN HỌC SINH GIỎI LỚP 9
NĂM HỌC 1999-2000
Thời gian làm bài: 90 phút
I-Put the correct preposition into each gap
- I rely ... the buses for getting ... and fro
- You should go ... foot. It's only a question ... habit
- Turn the lights ... We must economize ... electricity
- .I'm not accustomed ... getting involved ... other people's business
- She was angry ... me ... breaking her best plate
II-Choose a,b,c or d to complete the following sentences
1. Learners of English as a foreign language often fail to ... between unfamiliar sounds in that language.
2. The wind blew so hard and so strong that the windows ... in the frames
3. I have lived near the railway for so long now that I've grown ... to the noise of the trains
4. In spite of her protests, her father ... her train for the race three hours a
5. It was impossible for her to tell the truth so she has to ... a story
6. The car had a ... tyre, so we had to change the wheel
7. The play was very long, but there were two ...
8. These old houses are going to be ... soon
- a.laid out
- b.run down
- c.pulled down
- d.knocked out
9.If we go to the market we might find a ...
10. Smoking is a very bad habit, which many people find difficult to ...
III-Read the text and tick (v) the correct statements or answer the qestions below
Stress is a disease of the twentieth century. Life has never been faster and jobs have never been more stressful than they are today. People have to perform more nad more work under more difficult and more stressful conditions. Many people suffer from stress and the illness it can cause. But as this situation is becomeing recognized, people shouldn't have to fear commnents such as, 'He's had a nervous breakdown. Can't take the pressure, you know'. This is because more people are recognizing that stress is a natural reaction.It is a reaction of a person's body to pressure, either from the outside world or from the inner world of emotions and physical organs. We can't advoid stress. And we can't help ourselves, or others, until we know more about it. Not all stress is bad and perhaps if we understood it better we could make the most of it.
The way our jobs affect the way we live and how we feel is very important. Most of us spend more of our walking hours at work than we do even with our families. In fact, we may spend over 100,000 hours at work in a lifetime. People do many different jobs, and are satisfied for different reasons. They also suffer from many different problems and stresses.
1. Stress is more common in this century than in previous century
2. Stress can cause illness and illness can cause stress
3. Some people still think that stress is natural
4. We should stop felling stress
5. Why is stress "a disease of the twentieth century"?
6. How are attitudes to stress changing?
7. Why should we be concerned about stress?
IV-Put the verbs in parentheses in correct tense and form.
- He used to (do) research in this library
- If I (have) a day off,I wouldw go the beach
- I (watch) that film three or four times before
- He's used to (stay) up late
- Computers (use) for all kinds of work
- She (read) a newspaper when her friend came
- He (be) to London several times
- I wish I (watch) the football match on T.V last night.
- Ann (wait) for me when I arrived.
- It rains this weekend. We (not able) to play tennis